Is that an outdoor, open-to-the-pubic viewing station for watching planes take off? Air travel sure has changed.
When it opened in 1929, La Guardia was a private airfield off Flushing Bay called Glenn H. Curtiss Airport (a well-known aviator of the era) and then North Beach Airport.
Outraged that the only commercial airport that flew to New York City at the time was actually in Newark, Mayor La Guardia turned little North Beach airport into New York Municipal Airport a decade later. The La Guardia name didn’t officially arrive until 1947.