This 1920s or 1930s poster—check out the ancient four-digit phone prefix!—advertises a day trip up the Hudson, “On the river of myriad beauties” indeed.
The Franklin Street pier was also known as Pier 22, popular site to catch a ferry to New Jersey or Coney Island in the late 1800s.
The 129th Street pier, built in 1875, featured ornamental ironwork and a bright red roof. It became a popular place for New Yorkers to catch a breeze and watch the boats in the water. The pier met the wrecking ball in the 1960s, deemed a hazard to ships in the Hudson at the time.