In 1938, Berenice Abbott took this photo of two circa-1880s stables on far West 18th Street.
“In Abbott’s day, the bar-restaurant at 463 West 18th Street was attached to a corner liquor store at 130 Tenth Avenue,” explains Abbott’s Changing New York.
“These businesses and the junk shop at 461 served the seamen and dockworkers of the still active West Side waterfront.”
Today, the lovely old stables look very much the same. albeit cleaned up and restored. French restaurant La Luncheonette is located on the ground floor of 463, while 461 is a private residence.
And the West Side waterfront? Anchored by Chelsea Piers, it’s the site of lots of leisurely jogging/biking/strolling.
Tags: Berenice Abbott, Changing New York, Chelsea history, New York in the 1930s, old photos then and now New York City, stables in Manhattan, West Side docks of Manhattan, West Side Manhattan history