Of 17th century Brooklyn’s original six towns, five (anglicized as Brooklyn, Bushwick, Flatbush, Flatlands, and New Utrecht), were settled by Dutch men.
And then there’s Gravesend—founded in the 1640s by Lady Deborah Moody, a wealthy English widow who crossed the Atlantic to freely practice Anabaptism, a protestant sect that opposed infant baptism (they were the forerunners to Quakers).
She must have been tough: Lady Moody was the only woman known to launch a settlement in colonial North America.
Tolerant Dutch leaders in New Amsterdam gave her a land grant “beginning at the mouth of a creek adjacent to Coneyne Island” and let her divide the new town into parcels.
Two 17th century cemeteries, Gravesend and Van Sicklen, sit on one side of Gravesend Neck Road. On the other side is the little sloping house where Lady Moody supposedly (but probably didn’t) live.
Rumor has it the house served as a hospital during the Battle of Brooklyn in 1776.
Tags: Brooklyn in the 17th century, Colonial Brooklyn, Gravesend Brooklyn, Gravesend cemetery, Lady Deborah Moody, Lady Moody Gravesend, religious tolerance New Amsterdam, six towns of Brooklyn, Van Sicklen cemetery