By 1862, it had outgrown that space. So museum bigwigs bought land called Manhattan Square across Central Park West from 77th to 81st Streets. Plans for a grand, world-class natural history museum were drawn up.
The first building, above, opened in 1877. It sure looks lonely all by itself out there on the empty and untamed–looking Upper West Side, doesn’t it? (photo from the Museum of the City of New York)
Piece by piece, the rest of the museum came together, until finally the Beaux-Arts Central Park West entrance was completed in 1936.
Tags: American Museum of Natural History, Beaux-Arts buildings New York City, Central Park West, Manhattan Square, New York City museums, The Beresford, Upper West Side history, vintage New York postcards