This mysterious address, chiseled into the corner of a red-brick tenement, doesn’t sound like it’s in Manhattan.
But it is; today we know it as Park Avenue and 128th Street. So what’s with the Fourth Avenue moniker?
By 1888, the city demapped Fourth in favor of Park from 32nd to the Harlem River. In 1959, with Park Avenue’s cache in full swing, Fourth Avenue from 32nd to 17th Streets was renamed Park Avenue South.
Let’s hope that what remains of chopped-up Fourth Avenue, from Union Square to the Bowery, doesn’t also fall victim to the Park Avenue moniker makeover.