Posts Tagged ‘George Gershwin’

The Flatiron street where pop music got its start

February 11, 2013

Tinpanalley28thstreetIn the market for a bootleg DVD? You can probably find what you’re looking for on West 28th Street between Broadway and Sixth Avenue.

But a century ago, this stretch was the epicenter of a different kind of mass-produced entertainment.

This was Tin Pan Alley, where dozens of songwriters and publishers set up shop in the 1890s, and the pop music machine was born.

Tinpanalleyold “The name comes from the sound made by many songs being played at the same time through open windows, in different keys on poorly tuned pianos,” explains Song Sheets to Software.

Tin Pan Alley was in the middle of the Tenderloin neighborhood, a derelict district of gambling houses and brothels.

The music business fit right in. Here, musicians (like Irving Berlin, right, and George and Ira Gershwin, left) sat at pianos in publishing offices and churned out tunes.

IrvingberlinOnce a song was finished, the songwriter or publisher would urge a singer or performer to use it in their act, a tactic known as “plugging.”

“Plugging functioned much like today’s marketing—the object was to get a song heard by as many people as possible,” writes the Historic Districts Council.

“Songwriters on 28th Street made the rounds of dozens of cafes, music halls, saloons, and theaters nightly, pitching songs, getting them sung by performers, and devising creative methods to get the songs recognized (what we would today refer to as promotion).”

GeorgeandiragershwinIf they succeeded, the publisher would print sheet music and hope for a hit. In the days before records, sheet music sales determined a song’s popularity.

It must have been a loud and lively neighborhood, one that didn’t last though. The music business moved uptown by the 1950s.

As for Tin Pan Alley itself, in 2008 the row of buildings from 45 to 55 West 28th Street were supposed to have been sold to a developer. That deal fell through, but plans for landmarking the row appear to be stalled.

The tortoise and the hares on Park Avenue

March 31, 2010

1040 Park Avenue, at 86th Street, is a stately Upper East Side co-op. It doesn’t crack a smile—except when it comes to the tortoise and hare friezes that wrap around the third floor facade.

The penthouse was the longtime home of magazine publisher Conde Nast, who invited guests such as George Gershwin, Edna St. Vincent Millay, and Edward Steichen for a housewarming party in 1925, a year after the building opened.

City College’s impressive old stadium

January 13, 2010

This 1920s postcard makes the City College campus in Harlem appear almost pastoral. Where are all the buildings?

Lewisohn Stadium had those magnificent Doric columns, a nice touch. Built in 1915 between Amsterdam and Convent Avenue and 136th and 138th Streets, it served as home field for CUNY’s sport teams and was also a concert venue featuring performers from George Gershwin to Pete Seeger.

It was demolished in 1973. There’s a big academic center on the site now, but the old campus buildings are still gorgeous and worth a subway ride to see them.


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,605 other followers