How to get a job in Greenwich Village

The authors of The New Inside Guide to Greenwich Village, a cool little handbook published in 1965, seem to assume that anyone moving to the Village back then did so to pursue some kind of artistic endeavor. Therefore, they needed sound advice on how to actually pay the bills.

Not very enlightening, unfortunately. But this next part details who to call if you’re looking for temp work. I guess Miss Rae was the 1965 equivalent of Career Blazers?

Tags: ,

2 Responses to “How to get a job in Greenwich Village”

  1. hm Says:

    question, call for help, something like that
    do you know how I can get photos of the townhouse at 18 West 11th Street before it was destroyed by the weathermen and rebuilt in that ugly angular style?

    thx in advance guys.

  2. wildnewyork Says:

    You can try ordering what’s called a Tax Photo from the NYC Department of Records. In 1940 the department took a picture of every structure in the city; these photos are on file and usually available to the general public. You need to know the house number and address, and each photo costs at least $35.

    Here’s the order form:

    Good luck!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: