Behold, the gorgeous Victorian-style Fulton Ferry Terminal. Here New Yorkers traveling to Brooklyn via the East River ferry picked up a horse-drawn streetcar (and later a steam locomotive) that took them to points all over the borough.
These streetcars have signs for Cypress Hills, East New York, and Greenwood—quite a long haul for a couple of horses.
The Fulton ferries ceased in 1924, marking the first time since 1642 that this part of the river lacked ferry service. According to a New York Times article published on the final day, rowboats were first used, and “In 1730, a sailboat ferry service was inaugurated, which was replaced later by a horse-propelled craft, and finally by steamboats.”