If only vehicles went through the tunnel with this kind of ease and order all the time. Before the Holland Tunnel opened in November 1927, the only way to cross the Hudson River was by one of 15 different ferry lines.
The tunnel was named after its chief engineer, Clifford Milburn Holland, who died before it was finished. The heart attack that killed him was attributed in part to the stress of working on the tunnel.
This 1920s postcard is part of the Walker Evans collection on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It’s a great exhibit with lots of New York postcards capturing the pre-war city—definitely worth a visit.