Developers in the late 19th century couldn’t get enough of topping their buildings with the year it was constructed—usually on the cornice or upper facade.
And lots of builders couldn’t help but put their own names up there too. Like P. Martino, who put up this tenement in Williamsburg in 1871.
Mr. Gessner built this lovely structure in 1871 on Bleecker Street in the West Village.
St. George Greek Orthodox Church on 55th Street and Eighth Avenue is a modest little chapel, with the Hearst Tower looming behind it.