Patrissey’s opened in 1906 and served Neapolitan standards. The old-school eatery snagged a new name, Nolita’s, in 2000. Which didn’t last, of course.
“Sometime around 1920, enterprising Mr. Lum took a five-minute walk north from Chinatown and opened this Canal Street Institution—three-story, white-tiled—with clothier Moe Levy as angel,” writes Knife and Fork in New York, a 1948 guide.
“Distinctive European Atmosphere” raves the copy on this matchbook about the Russian Tea Room. Knife and Fork in New York wasn’t too impressed:
“Menu offerings include Russian hors d’oeuvres, beef a la Strogonoff, chicken cutlet a la Kiev, and French and American stand-by dishes.”
The place is currently still open, with the same garish decor it’s been known for for decades.
Tags: Kenmare Street NYC, Knife and Fork in New York, Lum Fong, Neapolitan restaurants Little Italy, New York street, old Chinese restaurants NYC, Patrissey's, Russian Tea Room, vintage matchbook covers