See these majestic granite eagles? They adorn what was then known as the First Avenue overpass, built in 1912 as part of Brooklyn’s Shore Parkway.
The overpass was torn down in 1941 to construct the Belt Parkway. And luckily, the eagles didn’t end up in landfill.
They were repurposed and moved to the Central Park Zoo, where they still stand, now proudly guarding the Sea Lion Pool.
“The provenance of the eagles was largely unknown until researchers working with the Parks Department Photo Archive uncovered photographic evidence of the eagles in their original spot,” writes nycgovparks.org.
“And the Parks Monuments division discovered a cryptic journal entry from 1941 that noted an unnamed administrator directed the Monuments division to install the eagles at the zoo.”
[Bridge photo: nycparksgov.org; eagle photo: centralpark2000.com]