It looks like the automobile age has barely arrived to this shabby but not chic corner at Hudson and Barrow Streets.
The photo dates to 1925, but notice the horse-drawn wagons and the store sign advertising harnesses across the street.
That’s P.S. 3 on the corner of Grove Street, with the flagpole on the mansard roof. And trolley tracks run up the center of the street, notes the caption to the photo, both published in 1976’s New York Then and Now.
The little Federal-style houses are long-gone by 1975, the year the second photo was taken, and a tall postwar apartment building looms in the distance.
P.S. 3 is still there, its flagpole moved to the front entrance. A deli and photography shop are the only businesses visible. Too bad the trolley tracks and the lovely bishop’s crook lampposts have disappeared.
Hudson Street at Barrow hasn’t changed much since 1975.
And though they’re out of view in the above photo, the Belgian blocks on Barrow still poke through the pavement opposite local dive Barrow Pub.
Tags: Barrow Street photo, Barrow Street West Village, horse-drawn wagons in the West Village, Hudson Street history, Hudson Street West Village, New York then and now, old photos Hudson Street, West Village in the 1920s