Certain defunct New York businesses are remembered with great fondness.
One is the automat—actually the 50 or so Horn & Hardart automats that used to exist all over the city. The fast food of their era, they dispensed hot coffee, sandwiches, baked beans, and pie to millions of busy New Yorkers cheaply and efficiently.
Another is Julian’s pool academy, a seedy but popular venue for decades that’s been gone from East 14th Street since 1991.
Who knew these two beloved establishments once shared the same building at 115 East 14th Street?
An Ephemeral reader did, and he sent this photo, from 1933, showing the original location of Julian’s upstairs from an automat. The building was demolished in the early 1980s to make way for Zeckendorf Towers, and Julian’s moved across the street to the old Palladium building, once the Academy of Music.
The second photo, from the NYPL Digital Gallery, was taken two years later, showing the new revolving door at the automat. What a treat!
Tags: Automat, New York in the 1930s, Automat New York City, Horn and Hardart Automat, Automat 14th Street, Julian's Pool Academy 14th Street, Julian's Pool Academy New York, East 14th Street photos, East Village in the 1930s