When Igor’s Barber Shop took over this modest storefront at 15 Eighth Avenue last year, the owners could have covered up the stained-glass sign on the facade, all that was left of a shoe store that occupied the circa-1845 building.
Luckily, they didn’t. They decided that this piece of old Greenwich Village should remain. It’s been exposed under the Barber Shop sign for at least a year now, and it’s wonderful to see.
Who was J. Yormark? The Greenwich Village Society for Historical Preservation put together a fantastic Off the Grid blog post that provides a little bit of backstory on Jacob Yormark, a young immigrant from Austria-Hungary who opened his shoe store in the 1890s.
[Photo of Eighth Avenue at West 12th Street in 1929 from the NYPL. Yormark’s is the third building from the five-story one at the corner]