Thanks to the bell tower of the Our Lady of Pompeii Church that’s still on the corner at Carmine Street, this soft, muted depiction of vegetable sellers and neighborhood shoppers at Bleecker Street is instantly recognizable.
It’s probably the early 1940s. Artist Bela de Tirefort, an Austrian native, painted many scenes of daily life around Washington Square Park and the Flatiron Building from the 1930s through the 1950s.
It’s not clear if this is also Bleecker Street, but the resemblance is strong.
“In the 1940s, pushcarts made this street all but impassable,” states the Project for Public Spaces.
“Cart operators were forced by law to move indoors, but the street retained its association with food, and today’s Bleecker Street still contains some of the best and freshest fruits, vegetables, pastries, cheeses, meats, fish, and delicacies to be found in the city.”
Thirty or so years earlier in 1915, Ashcan painter George Luks also took a stab at depicting the shops and crowds in this nighttime view of the opposite corner of Bleecker and Carmine Streets.
Tags: Bela de Tirefort, Bleecker Street 1940s, Bleecker Street Little Italy, Bleecker Street vegetable carts, Carmine Street NYC, Greenwich Village 1940s, New York in the 1940s, old image Bleecker Street, Our Lady of Pompeii Church