Macdougal Street in the West Village casts a huge literary shadow.
In the 1920s and 1930s, writers like Theodore Dreiser, Ezra Pound, and Sinclair Lewis drank and ate at Polly’s and the Minetta Tavern. Jack Kerouac and Frank O’Hara hung out at the San Remo and the Kettle of Fish.
And around the corner, Edgar Allan Poe published The Raven while living at 85 West Third Street in the mid-1840s.
But there’s another literary claim to fame on Macdougal Street. In 1868, Louisa May Alcott reportedly wrote part of Little Women from her uncle’s double-wide red townhouse at numbers 130-132.
“In 1868, Louisa May Alcott sat at her desk before the second story window in her uncle’s house on MacDougal Street and penned the final paragraph of Little Women,“ states this New York University web page, by way of City Guide NY. (NYU owns the house now.)
“The joined houses at 130 and 132 MacDougal Street had been built in 1852 and purchased by Alcott’s uncle. Alcott remained in her uncle’s house until 1870.”
Despite what NYU says, there’s some dispute over whether Alcott wrote any of her story about the March family here.
Alcott reportedly wrote the novel at her family’s home, Orchard House, in Concord, Massachusetts.
“Most of her work has been done here; the first part of Little Women was written at the South End, and the second part in the Bellevue Hotel, on Beacon-Street, her favorite quarters. . . .”
And in Susan Cheever’s Louisa May Alcott: A Personal Biography, Cheever references the “manufactured” fact that Alcott penned part of the book here.
“Even the amazing NYU archivists have only been able to find references to the fact that Alcott wrote Little Women on MacDougal Street, nothing about how that fact came to be manufactured.”
Tags: 130 Macdougal Street, Greenwich Village 19th century, literary Greenwich Village, Little Women Macdougal Street, Louisa May Alcott house Macdougal Street, Macdougal Street famuous residents, Macdougal Street history