It’s nowhere near Franklin Street in Tribeca. And it doesn’t seem related to nearby London Terrace, developed in 1845 as a residential stretch on Ninth Avenue at 23rd Street and now the name of the famous apartment complex on the same site.
“Here is a whole community of five or six houses with a little yard and a fence around it, all its own, in one of the most congested sections of the city, and the best part of it all is that a whole house of eight or nine rooms may be had for $30 t o $35 a month!” states a 1915 article in the New York Press.
The piece puts Franklin Terrace at number 364 West 26th Street, and describes it as a “blind street.”
“An ordinary gateway with a small iron gate leads to it. There is a paved yard with a row of old-time dwellings one one side and a couple of old-time trees that persist in bloom” (below left).
Franklin Terrace dates to the 19th century, as the article makes note of the lack of “modern” conveniences. “Gas and hot and cold water, perhaps, but no electric lights, steam heat, or furnace,” the writer adds.
When did it fade into history? It’s unclear.
A 1925 New York Times short mentions that the houses here were being redeveloped and modernized “with exteriors of old English type architecture with court and gardens (below right).”
Within four decades, Franklin Terrace was gone. Since 1962, the 10-building Penn South cooperative, from 23rd to 28th Streets between Eighth and Ninth Avenues, with its lawns and playground, has occupied the site.
Why a book of tourist street maps from 1996 lists long-demapped Franklin Terrace is a mystery.
[Third image: New York Press article, 1915; fourth image: New York Times, 1912; fifth image: MCNY Collections Portal; sixth image: NYPL Digital Gallery]
Tags: Chelsea street New York City, demapped streets New York City, Franklin Terrace, New York in the 1920s, New York maps, New York's old alleys, NYC alleys and courtyards, Old Chelsea streets NYC, old NYC maps