Since 1985, the elegant limestone building at the southwest corner of Sixth Avenue and 34th Street—originally the Herald Square home of Saks—has been sheathed behind ugly blue mirrored glass.
The store had a long history as Saks 34th Street; in the 1960s it became a Korvette’s and was most recently occupied by Daffy’s.
But during its current renovation into a new branch of retailer H&M,the lovely old department store came back into view.
A sharp-eyed Ephemeral reader noticed that some of the blue glass panels had been removed. There, a sliver of the facade finally got a chance to breathe and reveal itself to Herald Square.
Those windows look like they need a good scrubbing—that’s more than 80 years of 34th Street exhaust and grime up there! But it’s wonderful to see them in any condition after all this time hidden away.
[Thanks to Jeffrey P. for the “palimpsest moment” and photos.]
Tags: Building facades revealed NYC, defunct New York City Department Stores, department stores 34th Street, Gimbels and Saks Herald Square, Herald Square 1900, Old buildings renovation NYC, Saks Herald Square