When the Academy of Music opened in 1854 on 14th Street near Third Avenue, it was New York’s premier opera house, an anchor of the city’s buzzing new “uptown” theater district.
It was also a favorite of the city’s Old Money elite in the 1860s and 1870s, who socialized in its “shabby red and gold boxes,” as Edith Wharton put it in her 1920 novel The Age of Innocence, while shutting out the New Money families they despised.
Considering what a haughty place it was in its heyday (right), it’s fitting that after the Academy was demolished in 1926, a movie-theater-turned-rock-venue opened up across the street and adopted the Academy of Music name, reported Bedford + Bowery.
More name borrowing: The rock version of the Academy of Music became the Palladium in the 1970s (with Julian Billiard Academy on the second floor). Today, the site is occupied by NYU’s Palladium dormitory.
[Photo: Harold C. Black of Teenage Lust via rockcellarmagazine.com]
Tags: 14th Street 1960s, 14th Street rock clubs, 1960s Rock Clubs New York City, Academy of Music, Academy of Music Theater 14th Street, Iggy Pop in New York City, Julian's pool hall 14th Street, Theater District 14th Street