Posts Tagged ‘Bay Ridge history’

The storybook Gingerbread House of Bay Ridge

December 17, 2012

This is one house that needs no colored lights and decorations to give off a Christmas cottage-like feel.

It’s the Gingerbread House on quiet, residential Narrows Avenue in Bay Ridge, a 1916 Arts and Crafts beauty that looks like something cooked up in a holiday-themed kitchen . . . or taking its inspiration from a Grimm Brothers fairy tale.


Officially known as the Howard E. and Jessie Jones House (the names of the first owners), it was designated a landmark in 1988 and hit the market most recently in 2009. Price: 12 million.

This Curbed post gives you a peek inside.

Whatever happened to Yellow Hook, Brooklyn?

July 16, 2010

Back when the Dutch settled this part of the town of New Utrecht in the 17th century, they named it Yellow Hook—after its yellowish soil.

[illustrations from the NYPL’s digital collection]

The problem with Yellow Hook, however, was that it sounded too close to Yellow Fever, outbreaks of which were regularly killing New Yorkers.

So in 1853, locals gave Yellow Hook a more pleasant moniker: Bay Ridge, for the ridge that offers such amazing views of New York Bay. 

Or did they intend to call it “Bay Bridge”? An article in the Brooklyn Daily Eagle archives from December 19, 1853 includes this:

“. . . it was resolved that the locality hitherto known as Yellow Hook and included in the boundaries of School District No. 2, in the town of New Utrecht, be henceforth known by the name of Bay Bridge, and that an application be made to the proper authorities for an establishment of a Post Office in the vicinity, to be designated as the Bay Bridge Post Office.”

Two innocent typos, or perhaps the neighborhood’s real name?