Posts Tagged ‘buildings designed by Stanford White’

The ladies who watch over The Cable Building

September 19, 2010

These sturdy, colossal women flank an entrance to this McKim, Mead, & White beauty, on Broadway and Houston Street. 

Opened in 1893, The Cable Building served as a power plant for the city’s growing cable car system—but its technology was obsolete just a decade later. 

Now, it houses offices, the Angelika Film Center, and Crate & Barrel.