Posts Tagged ‘Duke of Abingdon’

Two ways of looking at Abingdon Square

November 7, 2008

Originally part of the estate of Peter Warren in the 1700s, the West Village’s Abingdon Square—really a triangle—was named after the Fourth Duke of Abingdon, who married Warren’s daughter. The land was kind of a wedding present to the couple; it was made into a public park in 1831.

At the time, mansions lined the park. According to a 1921 New York Times article, one of those old mansions was still standing on the corner of Bleecker and Bank Streets.

This photo depicts Abingdon Square around 1900:

abingdonsquare1900

The park doesn’t look much different in this 2008 photo. Some of the buildings surrounding it have changed; there’s a Bing and Bing pre-war apartment house facing the park on West 12th Street, plus another big pre-war building looming nearby on Jane Street.

abingdonsquare2008

What hasn’t changed is the structure at the left on Hudson Street. Today it’s the Village Nursing Home.