Posts Tagged ‘Graham home for old ladies’

Graham Home for Old Ladies

April 7, 2008

Now it’s a luxe Clinton Hill co-op. But this foreboding structure was built in 1851 as the “Graham Institute, or Home for Respectable Aged, Indigent Females.” Sounds like a genteel place, but a New York Times article from 1887 describes how residents were physically abused by the staff.

The name was shortened in 1899, and as the neighborhood declined, the home shut down. By the 1970s it had become the seedy Bull Shippers Motor Lodge, then sat empty until 2001.