Posts Tagged ‘Kesner department store’

All that’s left of the Kesner Department Store

August 6, 2008

Sixth Avenue at 23rd Street has been the center of a prime shopping district since after the Civil War, first as one end of elegant Ladies’ Mile, then as a seedier discount store area, and now a bustling big box corridor.

Burlington Coat Factory has occupied 707 Sixth Avenue for about a decade. Still, several columns on the outside of the cast-iron building feature decorative terra cotta tiles with the letter K on them.

The K probably stands for Kesner, as this was the J. L. Kesner department store from 1911 to 1913. Just a teeny reminder of the businesses and companies that preceded today’s mega-retailers.