Take the map below, for example. Published by James Hinton, it shows the city streets and family estates circa 1776.
There’s a road leading to “Kepp’s Bay,” ship yards along today’s South Street, Crown Point, which is today’s Corlear’s Hook, and a square plot called Delaney’s New Square.
Delaney’s New Square—what was that?
In the growing city, it was supposed to be the (apparently misspelled) center of the new street grid developed on the Delancey estate, about 300 acres east of the Bowery on today’s Lower East Side.
“Their plan included a spacious square, called Delancey Square on the Ratzer map (right, at the bottom left), bounded by the present Eldridge, Essex, Hester and Broome Streets.”
Too bad the Revolutionary War got in the way. The Delanceys were loyalists, and after the war were exiled and had their property taken.
“In subdividing the land for sale, the State’s Commissioners of Forfeiture continued the grid established by the Delanceys but eliminated the grand square,” states oldstreets.com.
Interestingly, a century later, the location of this “spacious” square was one of the most crowded places on earth!