Posts Tagged ‘Macomb’s Dam Park’

Upper Manhattan once resembled a country town

February 11, 2019

It looks like a country scene: a slender iron bridge, green bluffs across the river, groups of women strolling while shielding themselves with straw hats and sun umbrellas, a couple wheeling a child in a stroller, two men in a carriage led by a single horse.

A Midwestern village? Actually it’s 155th Street on the Harlem-Washington Heights border circa 1900, after the Macombs Dam Bridge opened in 1895 and before this section of Manhattan attracted industry, traffic, and a tidal wave of new residents looking for space and better housing.

The wonderful thing is that Macombs Dam Bridge still stands today, flanked by the same stone sentry towers.

Somethin’ fishy on the streets of New York

June 18, 2008

You can’t go far in the city without coming across reminders of its seafaring past on buildings, fences, and fountains.

This fat-lipped fish with an anchor and lifesaver in its mouth appears on the West Street side of the current Hotel Riverview, originally the old Seaman’s Institute of the American Seaman’s Friend Society. Built in 1910 with an octagon tower, the Institute, at the water’s end of Jane Street, was a refuge for “seamen in distress” and housed surviving¬†Titanic crewmen.¬†

The little trout in this sculpture are in Central Park near Bethesda Fountain. Not much back story on it, but it’s simple and lovely.

The limestone dolphin below, along with a matching dolphin on the other side, is carved into the granite fountain that used to be part of Macomb’s Dam Park in the South Bronx. The park is permanently closed to make way for construction of the new Yankee Stadium. Luckily the 1936 fountain was salvaged and now sits across the street from the current stadium.