Posts Tagged ‘Vintage store signs’

More signs that have seen better days

June 1, 2009

Dirt, dust, missing or crooked letters—these old yet charming store signs continue to hang on and get their message across.

Heather’s Treasures (free lay-a-way!) is on East 23rd Street:

Heatherstreasuressign

Best Housekeeping has been on Avenue A since 1924 (no idea about the age of the sign, however):

Besthousekeepingsign

Eddie’s Wholesales has stationary goods and paper goods:

Eddieswholesalessign

Now this sounds like a real old German beauty shop, in Yorkville, of course:

Brunhildesbeautysalonsign

Vintage store signs, Harlem edition

May 12, 2009

El Coqui is a tiny tree frog native to Puerto Rico—and the name of a restaurant on First Avenue near 110th Street:

Elcoquisign

Lenox Lounge, with its lovely Art Deco sign, has been at its Lenox Avenue address since 1939:

Lenoxloungesign

Pizza Del Barrio and Carousel Ice Cream are East Harlem ghost signs. They remain, but both shops have been long replaced by other businesses:

Pizzadelbarriosign

Vintage store signs in the Village

February 1, 2009

Joe’s Dairy—Latticini Freschi—is just off Houston Street:

joesdailysign

 

T.S Hardware, still making keys on 8th Street near University Place:

8thstreethardware1jpg

 

Looking at this sign on Seventh Avenue South, you’d think it’s 1939, not 2009:

casaoliveirasign

Vintage signs in the East Village

October 13, 2008

You don’t see many references to “permanent waving” these days. This old-school beauty parlor is on East 14th near Avenue A. “OR” stood for Oregon, but why that word became an East Side telephone exchange is a mystery.

Russo’s on East 11th Street turned 100 years old this year, a tasty remnant of the Sicilian immigrant neighborhood that thrived in the early decades of the 20th century between Eighth and 14th Streets and Second Avenue and Avenue A.

The neighborhood even had its own protector, the Black Madonna of Tindari. A five-foot statue of the Black Madonna sat in the window of a storefront shrine at 447 13th Street (now the Phoenix), and once a year on her feast day, September 8th, she was paraded through the streets.

The Black Madonna’s heyday began in 1905 and ended in 1987. Check out more info about her and the Italians of the East Village here.

The sign behind the sign

October 3, 2008

New York is a city of layers, with the remnants of older store signs visible beneath the current one, like on Minetta Street, where The Fat Black Pussycat gave way to a modern Mexican restaurant called Panchito’s:

Stuyvesant Deli, on 14th Street in the East Village, has an old 70s-style sign, plus two newer ones:

On 125th Street, behind an ordinary nail salon, are the faded remains of a record/cassette shop. Looks like it says Spivey:

More 1960s vintage store signs

September 14, 2008

There’s something about the colors and the typefaces that make them irresistible. These three are all from Brooklyn. Joseph’s is on Manhattan Avenue in Greenpoint. Lots of furniture and . . . bicycles?

Michael Aiello Dairy looks like it’s now a garage. But the sign remains the same, in Carroll Gardens:

Stereo and hi-fi are one thing, but tape recorders, radios, and “phonos” are another. J & R is in Park Slope on Seventh Avenue: