This one-lane stretch of circa-1850 brick walk-ups in the West Village is shaded by ailanthus trees and blocked off from traffic by a wrought-iron fence.
It’s shabby-romantic, the former home of many early 20th century writers.
It’s the location of the last original gas lamp and stanchion in New York City.
The simple, elegantly designed lamp still illuminates the alley at night, and it helps light up the Christmas tree residents place in front of it every December.
Unfortunately, it’s no longer powered by gas; the lamp was wired for electricity in the 1920s.
Imagine the lovely glow it must have cast on Patchin Place until then!