It looks very 1920s or 1930s, but it’s a ghost sign that seems to have long outlived the store it was attached to. Whose store was it?
A few blocks north, at 74th Street and Columbus Avenue, is this less mysterious ice cream signage: for the J.M. Horton Ice Cream Company.
It’s a sweet remnant of the Upper West Side’s manufacturing past. So what happened to Horton?
More than a century ago, the small local dairy “was supplying over half of New York’s ice cream,” explains The New York Times in a 2000 article.
By 1930, competition from bigger producers put them out of business.
[Horton’s sign tip: Chris Wilmore]