Loveliness in turn of the century Bryant Park
Here’s Bryant Park in 1913, just a few years after the New York Public Library building opened on the site where the Croton distributing reservoir once stood (hence the park’s original name, Reservoir Square).
But whose bust is that in the foreground?
It’s Washington Irving‘s, according to the Bryant Park Blog. Apparently the city placed this sculpture here because Irving once served on the park’s advisory council.
Removed during a 1930s park renovation, the bust is now part of Washington Irving High School near Gramercy Park.
Tags: Bryant Park 1913, midtown NYC parks, NYPL in 1913, old photo Bryant Park, postcards vintage New York City, Reservoir Square Bryant Park, Washington Irving in Bryant Park